Recently there was a program on CBC radio that talked about first imagining what you want your life to look like before making resolutions. So here’s what I came up with for a vision for my life:
I want to have an active and creative life that involves quality mommy time, family time, and friend time.
So I separated those ideas and listed goals to achieve them under each heading. I tried to include specific goals to help me have a clearer vision of what achieving them would be in my book (i.e.-instead of making a goal to swim more as a family, I specified aiming for swimming twice a month).
1) Active life
- Sign up for a tot and parent sport class
- Go swimming as a family twice a month
- Exercise three times a week personally
- Appreciate my body out loud and in front of kids for its attributes (i.e.-I like that my legs are strong so I can run after you, etc). This goal is to show how my body helps me be active but also to encourage positive body image.
2) Creative life
- Painting date night with J once a month
- Painting project with C and Q at least once a month
- Craft project with C and Q at least once a month
- Make time for Mommy time goals
3) Mommy time
- Make writing 10-20 minutes a day a priority
- Plan with J for two 3 hour stretches to paint a month (sans bebes!)
- Once a week make an entry in my visual journal
- Blog at least twice a week
4) Family time
- Have a date night with J twice a month (at home dates count)
- Remember to actively play with the kids every day, specifically child led play (take off the teacher hat, Ren!)
- Go to the aquarium once a month until membership runs out
5) Friend time
- Have an outing with friends at least once a month (besides book club meetings)
So there are my resolutions. Would love to hear yours and how you decide on what goals to aim for.
Happy New Year’s all!