I love blogging for the sense of community. Once you blog, you are in a club. In my club are artists, parents, children’s writers, and all sorts of other interesting people. Blogging expands your world and contracts it because you are exposed to so many different ideas and methods but you realise, essentially, we all have similar concerns and we all feel inspired by something.
One of my fellow bloggers, Salma who writes The Write Balance blog (http://thewritebalance.ca) recently nominated me for the Sunshine Award. So flattering!! What is the Sunshine Award, you might ask? It’s a “FBBB (for bloggers, by bloggers), and a way to recognize people who have charmed, supported, enlightened, and inspired the awarder in recent months.”
Salma had some questions for her nominees:
1. Why did you start blogging?
The short and easy answer is to have an outlet in a different form for my drive to write. The longer answer has to do with that sense of community I mentioned before. Community is important to me because it provides a sense of connection. I first sought out blogs when I was struggling to deal with a brain tumour. It was removed just over 2 years ago now and it was a really difficult time. The blog of a woman who had a similar brain tumour helped me tremendously. I wasn’t alone. It was a profound feeling. My greatest aim is to connect to people the way that blog connected to me – though I am hoping to inspire people to be more creative in their daily lives.
2. What’s your one guilty pleasure?
One? I’m supposed to have just one? Cause the immediate gut response already includes a half dozen: bad TV, chocolate, ice-cream (especially DQ Blizzards), trashy novels, new notebooks (though I have at least 6 blank ones already in the cupboard), and Bailey’s.
3. What’s your favourite movie?
Remember how trashy tv is a guilty pleasure? It’s especially true if a sappy romantic comedy is on. Pretty much any one will do but some all time personal faves include: Dirty Dancing, Pretty Woman, Ever After – you get the type, I’m sure.
4. Did you like being pregnant?
Mostly I loved it. I did think it should come with a warning label of all the side effects you experience but had only heard of before hand and the morning sickness was horrendous. However, in general, you get to eat all you want, people offer you seats and carry things for you, and you get to feel the kicks and the hiccups of your “secret friend”. Pregnancy held a strong sense of awe and wonder for me.
5. What social media platform do you like the best?
I’m so technologically unsavvy, I’m not even sure what a social media platform is! I’m thinking maybe I am supposed to choose between Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and the like so I am going to choose Pinterest because I am a visual person and I love organising (like, crazy love organising).
6. What’s your favourite drink?
Alcoholic: Sangria Non-alcoholic: Hot chocolate or Starbuck’s chai tea latte
7. Where is your favourite place to vacation?
8. What is the first thing you would do if you won a million dollars?
Second honeymoon in Mexico.
9. What’s your favourite thing about yourself?
Personality wise: I’m very loyal. Physically: This freckle I have on my shoulder/back.
10. What TV series is a must watch for you right now?
11. How many siblings do you have?
Two (both younger) : a black belted, Chinese tradition medicine trained brother and a fun-loving, soul searching, counselling psychology Master’s degree holding sister (they are just both so talented I had to brag).
Now for some blogs that have shone sun into my life (besides Salma’s, of course. She is definitely on the list for me but I’m not allowed to nominate the one who nominates me). In no particular order:
1. The Artful Parent http://artfulparent.com/ (kids crafts mommy blog)
2. Sew Creative Blog http://sewcreativeblog.com (mommy blog)
3. Toddler Approved http://www.toddlerapproved.com/ (mommy blog with educational ideas especially around the alphabet and sight words)
4. Juliette Crane http://www.juliettecrane.com/blog/ (artist blog)
5. Donna Downey http://donnadowney.typepad.com/ (artist blog)
6. Happy Hooligans http://happyhooligans.ca/ (mommy blog lots of toddler friendly crafts)
7. Writing for Kids (While Raising Them) http://taralazar.com/(writing blog and host of PiBoIdMo)
8. Julie Hedlund http://www.juliehedlund.com/ (writing blog and host of 12 x 12)
9. Red Pear Creative http://redpearcreative.blogspot.ca/ (artist blog)
10. Laly Mille http://www.lalymille.com/blog-2 (artist blog)
I have found a lot of inspiration and enjoyment from these blogs. I appreciate their motivation and their passion to pursue their dreams and interests. I really recommend checking them out:)
Questions for my Nominees (should they take on the challenge):
1) Where is one place you’ve travelled to that you’d recommend to others?
2) What’s a pet peeve you have?
3) Fave children’s book (either now or as a child)?
4) What are two sources of inspiration for you (either as a blogger or as an artist)?
5) What is your favourite musician or CD?
6) If you could pick a different name for yourself, what would it be?
7) What’s something that makes you smile?
8) Why did you start blogging?
9) What do you do to get over writer’s block (or blogger’s block or artist’s block)?
Thanks again for the shout out Salma! I’m happy to pay it forward by carrying on the sunshine and blog love:)