This was a really interesting painting project and took longer to complete but I really enjoyed the process for this one times ten.
I was aiming for bold lines and big impact but it felt too obvious and too centred. Thankfully acrylics are very forgiving. So it was back to the drawing (well, painting) board…
I made the moon smaller and the sky became more of the focal point. The green fields now weren’t working though.
I wasn’t at all sure where to go with the bottom part so I started by switching the colour. Orange tones are colour opposites of blue so I decided to try those shades out in an attempt to make the blue pop as I was really liking the sky and felt that was a strength in the painting so far.
As well at this stage, I tried putting in a building, made the moon white, and put in a circle for the character’s face.
For the moon, I used paper with the text of personal writing on it. For the face I used music papers that I downloaded for free off the internet.
I added a body under my face. As per usual, it took some tries to find a colour that I felt worked for the dress. So far I liked my sky, my lower background, and my moon size. Now to try to make my character shine through.
The upward lines off her head were a mistake at the beginning but I went with it and added more. I felt they worked with the rest of the vibe.
I love text in paintings. Thinking hard about what message I wanted to put in the work, I went with “beneath a thousand stars, I shine”.