I love the way our (Grand)Mother’s Day cards turned out this year. The style makes me think of an Eric Carle illustration mixed with Lois Ehlert’s Planting a Rainbow.
I went with blue/green/yellow for the stems and then red/pink/purple and yellow/orange for the flowers. The mix of colours added to the visual texture of the pages.
After that C “helped” me trace a jar lid to make the circles. After he helped, I traced a baby food jar for the big circles and a glue stick top for the small ones. Then I free cut three larger circles (one for each card).
As C is now 3, I got him some scissors. I had him cut out strips (more like random wedges) for the stems. At first, he needed some help but he quickly got into it (to the point of having a tantrum when I tried to take the scissors away and transition to something else). I cut the circles out solo.
Next we glued a little circle on a bigger circle. For one flower per card we made a three layered flower. He then glued the flowers onto the cards.
They looked great as they were but C loves adding embellishments so I pulled out the buttons. We needed white glue to attach these which made C very happy because painting on glue is like painting in general to him:)
The texture and colour from the buttons did add a little something extra.
Depending on how he arranged the flowers, I found space to add words with a green felt (bunch of flowers–>love you a bunch:).
I love how these flowers turned out. I think they’d look great as a mixed media piece on canvas. Hmmm, maybe a project for the summer…